This was my first week starting my sewing learning project. This week was all about completing little hand sewing jobs so I could work on my basic sewing skills. The first thing I did was gather all of my materials for the week which included thread, needles, clothes pins, tape measure and pins.
I worked on sewing a few holes in shirts, pants and socks. This sewing has been pretty simple, I mainly used prior knowledge of how to do basic sewing and then watched a few YouTube videos to refresh my memory. The other day, I put on a blouse and as I was about to leave the house, I discovered there was a big hole in the armpit section. So I am already seeing how this is such a useful skill to have as I was then able to sew it up and wear it out! After that, I searched the house for anything with holes in it and now everything I could find has been sewed up. It is a little trickier than I thought it would be though. When I sewed up the hole on the blouse, I did not correctly fold it in and ended up with the fringe of the fabric sticking outwards. I then learned how to unstitch the thread and I attempted it again and did much better - still not perfect, but not a bad first sewing project. Here's a picture of my progress on that blouse:
I am excited for the upcoming weeks as every week I challenge myself a little more. Next week, I will be focusing on add-ons to articles of clothing. I will learn to sew on buttons, patches and zippers so stay tuned for next week's blog.